Thursday, November 8, 2007

Latcho Drom

Beautiful and rare film that I have yet to get my hands on because it hasnt been released in the US. Latcho Drom, meaning "Safe Journey" in the Romani gypsy tongue. Director Tony Gatlif films the travels, singing and dancing of Romany groups from Rajahstan India, Egypt, Turkey, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, France, and Spain. There are no actors, dialogue or narration. Just vagabonds doing what they do. Absolutely beautiful film that makes me think more and more everyday that my heart is from a different time and place.







The old man playing Violin is Nicolae Neacşu "Culai", of romani gypsy band Taraf de Haidouks. Culai died in 2002, R.I.P. I highly recommend Taraf to any gypsy soul. Taraf de haidouks

1 comment:

david. said...

i stumbled across your blog today and i'm glad i did. these videos are gorgeous!