Friday, May 8, 2009

Living on the Emerald Isle


So much has happened in the past 5 days that I've been in Ireland, where to begin? After a long eventful, delicious, sexy and incredibly fun weekend in NYC I said my goodbyes and boarded my plane at JFK. It hadn't really hit me that I was finally going to Ireland until the lovely flight attendant began speaking in Gaelic. My heart leaped out my chest.
Flew in to Dublin Monday, had a layover so I spent a few hours walking about the city. It was sporadically raining and much colder than I was expecting. My digital camera is still being fixed back in the states so I didn't get to take any photos, I could buy a disposable but haven't been able to bring myself to spend 18 euro on one. Just my luck it was a bank holiday so not much was open, but I did get to go to the Temple Bar district, saw the Guinness Brewery, walked through the gorgeous Merrion Square, passed Oscar Wilde's house, and ran across O'Connell Bridge to catch my bus back to the airport. Took a short flight to Cork then another bus to Drimoleague where I was to be picked up by Barbara my farm host. I was supposed to take a bus to Skibbereen but because of the holiday not many buses were running. The bus ride through the countryside was breathtaking, rolling rich green hills, sheep and cow pastures every bit of the way and sun showers all the while. I was fading in and out of conciseness due to the jetlag, constant travel, and lack of sleep in past 24hrs. Everytime I woke up I was pleasantly reminded I was in Ireland. Drimoleague is a very small village and the only thing open when I got off the bus was May Dean's Pub across the street from the stop. I stumbled in and threw my massive backpack from my shoulder, all eyes on me as I hear a voice mumble "jaesis lads, lookat we got ere". Besides the fact that everyone knows everyone here I definitely stand out. I had to pee sooo bad so I thought I could drop in use the toilets and phone Barbara. After about 30 seconds I decided not to leave my bag unattended and I'd rather just sit outside at the bus stop where Barbara could see me. Atleast half the town wouldn't be staring at me in the pub. I spoke too soon. On my way out the door my wide ass backpack gets stuck in the reeeeally bloody small doorway, as I try to shift and maneuver my way through it I panic and just take it off. I turn around to see the bartender coming to give me a hand, I jerk my pack through, say thanks then speed walk down the street hearing an uproar of laughter behind me. Pretty embarrassing but mostly hilarious. Moments later Barbara came to collect me.
Since I arrived on the farm I've been working long hard days and loving every minute of it. I'm living in a 150 year family farm house, we have chickens, potatoes, lettuce, onions, raspberries, gooseberries, rhubarb, and sunflowers. There is loads of work to be done remolding the house and landscaping and when I'm not busy with everything else I've got to mind after her 8 year old son Reuben. He's a real chancer and gives me an awful pain in the gulliver, but we get on just fine. Though he continually tries my patience we're actually becoming quite good friends.
I've borrowed Barbara's digital camera and taken a few photos around but haven't the time to upload them all now. Here's a peak.
To be continued..

the road to our house


2 comments:

lissa said...

GUH - reading this makes my whole body ache for Ireland. I want to go back! Isn't it just WONDERFUL?

I'm glad you're there safe and sound and I can't wait to hear about all the crazy crap you do. Keep posting so I can continue to be utterly jealous.

Love you!

Chaunté Vaughn said...

I love it. This is a great post. That is so funny about you getting stuck in the door! we knew it was going to happen at some point. I can't wait for you to get that other pack, I still think about it occasionally.