Tuesday, May 19, 2009

On the Farm

I've been working here on the O'Regan Farm for exactly 2 weeks now, feels like 2 months. Everyday has been long, hard, exciting, educational and absolutely beautiful.

I begin everyday at 9am, reluctantly jump out of my warm bed and into my cold clothes, lace up my boots, brush my teeth and head to the kitchen. I have 3 fresh eggs every morning that I collect from the chickens, 2 slices of Fields of Skibbereen toast topped with pure Irish cream butter, orange juice and a cup of hot tea with honey.
Our Cuckold and chickens

The eggs from our 10 hens
After breakfast I feed the chickens then spend the rest of the day in the garden, earthing-up potato spuds, weeding, and turning soil for our new crops. We'll be planting carrots, lettuce and sunflowers very soon, currently we just have lots of potatoes and onions.

The potato spuds, and frame for polytunnel we'll put up soon.

Most of the worms I find in the garden are about this size.

We compost just about everything here

I work all day until Reuben gets home from school at 3pm and then we go off on adventures, running through the hills and doing cool stuff like making wilderness shelters.


The beginning of our shelter.

The house.

Window box on the left is my room.

The kitchen, where I spend every evening making dinner.



Okay, thats enough for now. There's so much more that happens around here and I have A LOT more photos but I think thats good for now.
Okay, one more. This is a prelude to my next story. Um, shit. They're running straight for us. Stay tuned...


6 comments:

Chaunté Vaughn said...

i love this post the most

Arthur Anchors said...

thanks. i wish i could post more but i'm just always so damn busy.

Drew Danburry said...

love it!

Rupeshow said...

i love this so much.

Version #2 said...

And I fourth the love. I had a very terrifying experience with a herd of cows running at me when I was like 3 . . . and stuck in mud up to my knees! It is sooo scary, even as an adult I feel scared . . .

Arthur Anchors said...

thanks guys. and thanks alissa for reminding me to continue the cow attack story. I'll post that one soon.