Friday, June 5, 2009

Month 1

I've been here in Ireland 1 month today.

What I've learned:
Knackered means exhausted
Give over means cut it out
Crack - a great party or good time
Blight - a potato disease
Point of lay pullet - a chicken around 6 months of age, now a hen able to lay eggs
Hitch hiking here is practically a form of public transportation
How to turn soil, make raised timber beds, and plant new crops
Go raibh maith agat - "thank you" in gaelic, pronounced gurra mah aggut
How to wire a battery on a 100 year old sailboat
How to wield a pick axe
Irish dairy was sent from God
Tea in Ireland is consumed more than water
It's common courtesy to say "hiya" and wave when you pass someone on the road
Everyone knows everyone
How to live with and be a big brother for a curious, inquisitive, trouble-making, 8 year old chancer of a boy
Ireland is more beautiful than any picture you'll ever see on a calendar
I still can't pull off a legitimate Irish accent
And that I'm starting to call this home

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cracking... cracking?

shawna said...

what's the craic/what's the story means 'what's up'

If someone says 'Im just pulling your leg' it means, 'Im just messing with you'

and many more... haha

3brainer said...

From the look of this list, sounds like you're paying attention. You stir my desire to see Ireland. I've got a fair bit o' the Irish in me too!