Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Childhood Role Models

The fact that these four men were my childhood heroes explains a lot about myself. Somethings never change.

Tristen Ludlow, from Legends of the Fall. My absolute definition of a man. Scholar, scoundrel, and complete bad ass. One of the most tormented and sexiest characters ever created. Raised by an old indian man and his father a U.S. general. Watches his brother die in the trenches of WWI and cuts out his heart just after it stopped beating to bring home to his father. Breaks the hearts of all those around him, sails the world, becomes an exotic hunter in africa, kills all the elected officials in his hometown to avenge his young indian wife's death, but lives to be an old man till he dies battling the bear he faught as a boy.

Gene Kelly, playing a sailor in Anchors Aweigh with Frank Sinatra. As a kid Gene Kelly was my hero in just about anything though. Incredible dancer and always looked so damn sharp!








Mad Mardigan, from Willow. Ex-warrior turned vagabond/thief with a heart for a peck and a redheaded warlord. With a gold earring , ass-length braids and a sense of humor he's the greatest swordsman in all the land and pretty much defeats anything.


Kevin Kline as The Pirate King in the 1983 Broadway production of Gilbert and Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance! This is what started it all. Was watching this vhs before I could talk, wore out the tape by the time I was 8yrs old and my ma had to buy another.
Sidenote: Does anyone know that my birthday is International Talk-Like-A-Pirate Day? I tell no tale, September 19th. Look it up.

4 comments:

Chaunté Vaughn said...

my heroes as a kid were beethoven, mozart, and queen elizabeth. And i loved the wizard of oz, i would rewind it and play it over and over. a little princess and the secret garden also rocked my world. for a long time i wanted to live in an english mansion overlooking the moors and have a huge garden.

Arthur Anchors said...

I'm glad you read my blog, youre the only one.

James King, Instructor said...

yes, now you have 2 readers/posters. my four role models were Jeff Bridges as Flynn in Tron. mel gibson as 'Mad' Max Rockatansky from Mad Max 3: beyond thunderdome, Kurt Russel as snake pliskin in escape from New york, and Mad Mardigan from willow. man, for growing up around all those manly man destructo types, i'm a fairly laid back creative guy. eh, one day i'll get my day, the apocalipse will come.

adufbsoifnvokdansoiou said...

Nice role models. I have to concur